Friday 17 October 2014

A 'bug' story: Part II

Hey everyone,

The Webmaker bug was a success! The biggest problem I encountered was definitely setting up the dev environment. I ran into several errors on different computers, most of the time it was with the npm install to get gulp up and running. After I overcame those obstacles, I ran into a weird one (another bug perhaps?) where after logging into the localized version of my project it would not log me in aka the gulp dev. I tried it on Chrome, then moved onto Nightly, both to no avail. I eventually created a new log in and BAM, success.

After that I talked to a few people and got some help on where to begin, xmatthewx on github suggested that I use the how to template to help put it together and a few other sources put me on the right track. I learned a little bit about JSON and eventually got a template put together.If you want, you can take a look at my pull request! This is my initial request, I plan on getting a little feedback and updating my patch after.

This is a fun process and I get to have communication with professionals, how exciting!

IRC was also an interesting experience, for the most part it's petty quiet, but it seems useful if you ask the right questions.

That's all for today,

Cheers,

James Laverty


No comments:

Post a Comment