Friday 26 September 2014

Release 0.1

Implementing the du into Filer was a challenging learning experience.

It all started with,

NPM

It was a beautiful day outside, the birds were chirping, the sun was shining, and I was in a room with no windows.


Oh, no big deal, I'll just go download it and install it. BOOM, second error. After that, I decided to talk to a friend of mine who is also taking the course, he said he had no problems and that everything installed very easily. I threw a keyboard.

I eventually got it installed and then tried to run the npm install command to get grunt. BOOM, no folder called npm in the user/<user name>/App Data/Roaming/npm folder... WHAT?! Windows installer bug. Bought new keyboard, threw it out.

I then created an npm folder, ran it again, got a page full of errors, but at least something happened. By now, a few hours had passed, so I decided I needed some sun and took a walk.

Grunt

By now, several hours had passed and I was feeling rather successful; NPM was installed(kinda) and Node.JS was installed. Next I thought to tackle Grunt, how hard could that be? Two commands, install, then install globally the cli, easy right? Absolutely not. I spent the next hour intensely pounding on my laptop getting only errors after errors, ready the manuals, and then getting more errors. I eventually decided to switch environments and use SSH to connect to my school.

I'd prefer not to talk about this dark time in my life that was filled with passion, regret, and sadness. Needless to say, I eventually went back to windows and used my new found knowledge to properly install everything.

Filer

This seemed a daunting task, but using the top down method I broke everything down starting with the documentation, then moving onto the test cases, and finally moving on to the implementation. It was the easiest part, even though I've never really used JavaScript before. I cloned it from git hub, pushed my changes and now need to pull request to the Teacher!

I called this a roller coaster of success.

Cheers,

James Laverty

No comments:

Post a Comment